Thursday, October 4, 2007

Open-ended Learning Environments

I found it interesting that I could find no articles in the Walden database for anything close to “open-ended learning environments” even though the phrase has been used since at least 1994 by Hannafin et. al. Placing “computers” and “learning environments” phrases together began to occur even before 1994. Then why was OLE not found in the database in any peer reviewed articles?

For our assignment, I reviewed the bibliography in the back of the chapter and began searching for actual articles referenced and related articles by the same authors or pointed to through their own bibliographies.

I had already spent some time exploring Jonassen when researching for another class and was happy to revisit his work on MindTools to see what was new and remind myself of his mantra to use technology to help create understanding and not just as another way of delivering content.

I found a new name to add to my growing list of preferred scholars: Michael Hannafin’s work with Land (especially) and/or Hall, Oliver, and Hill. I used Hannifin’s work in the discussion board. I especially like his propensity to avoid obfuscation :)

Hannafin, M.J., Hall, C., Land, S., &Hill, J. (1994). Learning in open-ended environements: Assumptions, methods, and implications. Educational Technology, 34(8), 48.55.

Hannafin, M.J. (n.d.). Learning in open-ended environments: Tools and technologies for the next millennium. IT Forum. Paper 34. Retrieved October 2, 2007 from http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/paper34/paper34.html

Hannafin, M.J. (n.d.) Technology and the design of open-ended learning environments. IT Forum. Paper 14. Retrieved October 2, 2007 from http://it.coe.uga.edu/itforum/paper14/paper14.html

No comments: